LLNL Scientist: Monique Warren, Environmental Engineer
Duration: 10 minutes, 42 seconds
Key Learning Objectives:
- To understand the main responsibilities of a professional environmental engineer
- To understand what an aquifer is, how it functions, and how contaminants spilled on the Earth’s surface can affect groundwater
- To understand how LLNL environmental engineers are treating contaminated groundwater
Aquifers, groundwater, waste water, contaminants
Relevant NGSS Standards:
High School: HS-ESS3 Earth and Human Activity
Middle School: MS-ESS3 Earth and Human Activity
Potential Follow-up Questions:
- What coursework should students pursue if interested in environmental engineering?
- How do environmental engineers identify different contaminants in the groundwater? What do they do with them once they’re removed from the water?
- What can people do to help keep our groundwater clean?