A Look Back

B&W photo of Richard Post sitting next to giant magnet
// A Look Back
Livermore began investigating controlled thermonuclear reactions and fusion early in its history
 A photo from 1970 showing Marvin Van Dilla working with flow cytometry.
// A Look Back

In 1963, a comprehensive, long-range program dealing with the sources and biological effects of human-made radiation was established by the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) at the Lawrence Radiation Laboratory, Livermore.

W. Lawrence Gates, the chief scientist and first leader of LLNL’s PCMDI.
// A Look Back

The end of World War II heralded an era of population growth throughout the nation and especially in the State of California, where many returning soldiers and their families settled.

From left: George Russell, Harold Brown and Edward Teller.
// A Look Back

In the summer of 1956, a U.S. Navy-sponsored study (Project Nobska) on anti-submarine warfare was held at Woods Hole, Massachusetts.

Carl Haussmann and John Emmett, working on lasers in 1973.
// A Look Back

Sixty years ago in 1960, at Hughes Aircraft Company in Malibu, California, Thomas Maiman fired his solid-state ruby laser, emitting humankind’s first coherent visible light.

Members of the nuclear clean-up crew at work near Thule Air Base, 1968.
// A Look Back

On Jan. 21, 1968, an aircraft accident involving a United States Air Force B-52 bomber occurred near Thule Air Base in the Danish territory of Greenland.

Livermore mechanical technicians pose in front of the gas recirculation plant they built, December 1967​​​​​​.​
// A Look Back

On Dec. 10, 1967, Project Gasbuggy was conducted in a sandstone gas-bearing formation in the San Juan Basin near Farmington, New Mexico.

Teller and Reagan
// A Look Back

In 1967, Ronald Reagan, former movie star and then newly-elected governor of California, visited the Lawrence Radiation Laboratory in Livermore, California to tour the facility and become more informed about major ongoing projects, including work on national defense.

B&W photo of men walking at Nevada Test Site
// A Look Back
On Sept. 19, 1957, the University of California Radiation Laboratory, Livermore detonated the first contained underground nuclear explosion, “Rainier,” into a long tunnel beneath a high mesa in the northwest corner of the Nevada Test Site.
Two men looking at screens
// A Look Back
In 1981, a select group of U.S. Army officers visited Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory to ​​​​​​​participate in a series of nuclear wargames unlike any conducted.