ONLINE APPLICATION OPENS: FEBRUARY 9, 2024, 8:00 AM
APPLICATION CLOSES: MARCH 22, 2024, 11:59 PM
Applications are competitive and space is limited.
STEM with Smartphones is a one-week summer workshop designed for the next generation of innovators who are currently in high school and formulating their passion for future careers in science and technology.
Students participating in this workshop will become deeply engaged by practicing the critical thinking and decision making that are associated with hands-on measurements and examination of the data. This type of experience is now possible using the remarkable sensors and computational capabilities that are incorporated into all smartphones. This approach enables students to investigate fundamental physical principles as well as apply the knowledge and methods to investigate complex systems. These science and engineering practices and the applications in this workshop are relevant to almost any STEM career path. During this summer experience student will:
- Using a 3-axis accelerometer to study the detailed movement associated with the human heart
- Combining data from accelerometers, gyroscopes, and pressure transducers to characterize human movement for fitness applications
- Analyze sound waves and investigate the principles of voice recognition
- Investigate the detailed properties modern displays which are foundational to how people currently receive and share information
- Explore the principles of magnetic data storage and investigate the engineering design challenges for next generation information storage
- Evaluate the precision of using microwave signals from satellites to precisely measure your location on the Earth’s surface
LLNL Discovery Center
2500 Greenville Road
Livermore, CA 94550
Weekdays, July 15–19, 2024
8:30 am to 4 pm
* All students must be 15 years or older by the start of the workshop.
* Students age 18 at the start of the workshop must be U. S. citizens.
* Students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher to apply.
* There is NO cost to attend; the workshop is FREE.
* Students must bring their own laptops and smartphone.
* Lunch and snacks provided.
* Students are supervised through the lunch hour.
* Students must have their own transportation to and from the workshop.
* No letter of recommendation required.
To apply submit:
1) Online application (available February 9, 2024)
2) Most recent high school transcript; unofficial copy will be accepted