LLNL Scientist: Megan Bruck Syal, Planetary Defense Physicist
Duration: 10 minutes, 2 seconds
Key Learning Objectives:
1. To understand the main responsibilities of a professional planetary defense physicist at LLNL
2. To understand how different asteroid material properties can affect the outcome of a deflection
Planetary defense, deflection, kinetic impact, momentum, porosity, impact cratering
Relevant NGSS Standards:
High School: HS-ESS1 Earth's Place in the Universe
Middle School: MS-ESS1-1 Earth's Place in the Universe
Potential Follow-up Questions:
1. What coursework should students pursue if interested in planetary defense physics?
2. What is the estimated probability of a significant impact event?
3. How far ahead do scientists have to plan for a deflection?