LLNL Scientist: Leland Ellison, Computational Physicist
Duration: 11 minutes, 28 seconds
Key Learning Objectives:
- To understand the main responsibilities of a professional computational physicist at LLNL
- To understand how different physical properties of uncooked vs. hard boiled eggs affect their movement
- To understand the crystallization process of water when brought just below its freezing point
Mass, supercooling, crystallization
Relevant NGSS Standards:
High School: HS-PS1 Matter and its Interactions
Middle School: MS-PS1 Matter and its Interactions
Potential Follow-up Questions:
- What coursework should students pursue if interested in computational physics?
- What does the National Ignition Facility do?
- What physically happens to the egg yolk during the hard-boiling process?